- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Silas Marner consists of Part One and Part Two between which sixteen years have passed.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Section I - Plot Analysis:
Silas Marner consists of Part One and Part Two between which sixteen years have passed. Part One introduces Silas Marner as a lonely weaver. Briefly, the novel flashes back to fifteen years earlier when he was falsely accused of theft and forced to emigrate from his industrialized town to a village in the countryside. The story picks up Silas Marner sixteen years later and the reader is treated to his hardships over the next fifteen years and eventual good fortune. The purpose of the author is to show that a poor person, who has been so badly treated by his fellow man that he has lost faith in God, is capable of overcoming his despair, and leading a virtuous life.
George Eliot, whose real name was Mary Ann Evans, begins by depicting Silas Marner and his unfortunate situation. Set in the pastoral English countryside village of Raveloe, at the turn of the nineteenth century, when the industrial revolution was in progress, Silas Marner is a pallid man, of thirty nine years of age, who is disillusioned and has placed his trust in his money more then in man. Nevertheless, he still
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
George Eliot (view all)
- "Discuss some themes and characteristics of T.S.Eliot's...
- Bernard Malamud, "A Summer's Reading
- George Eliot is credited for a style of writing that brings ...
- Discuss The Importance of Loneliness in the Novel Silas Marn...
- My Book Report About 'I Capture The Castle'- Dodie Smith
- How well does George Eliot establish the setting in the firs...
- The Gift of Children in "Silas Marner". What does ...
- Show how Silas Marner is drawn back into society with the co...
- How Does Eliot Portray The Class System In The Novel "S...
- Silas Marner - The Bonding of Silas and Eppie in Chapter 19.
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.