- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Some of the events in Lord of the Flies are violent and disturbing - Choose at least two of these events and discuss.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Some of the events in Lord of the Flies are violent and disturbing. Choose at least two of these events and write about:
* What is violent and disturbing in them
* The importance of these events in the novel
* How the writer makes the events violent and disturbing.
In this novel there are many disturbing and violent events, one of which is when tribe of boys are killing the mother pig. The descriptive images of the pig being killed are very violent, 'Jack was on top of the sow, stabbing downward with his knife'. This is because Jack is deliberately killing the pig and in an unpleasant manner. Not only is it violent but also disturbing. The reason this, is that the boys who are involved in killing the pig are enjoying it and at the site of the blood makes them excited wanting them to do it more. 'Bleeding like mad, the hunters flowed, excited by the long chase and dropped blood'. When the boys finally killed the sow they carried on with the violence by taking a spear and placing it through the pig's backside. The boys found this very funny and
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
William Golding (view all)
- What Does It Mean to be Civilized
- "Ralph wept for the end of innocence, the darkness of m...
- Compare and Contrast the presentation of Good and Evil in 'D...
- Lord Of The Flies Quotes and analysis.
- Analyse the characters of Jack Twist and Ennis Del Mar, The ...
- I will explore how the themes of civilisation and barbarity ...
- Lord of the Flies -Symbolism and the Character of Jack.
- Macbeth by Shakespeare and Lord of the Flies by William Gold...
- How Does Golding Use The Island As A Character In Lord Of Th...
- How does Golding convey the differences between Jack, Simon ...
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo