- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
spCompare the Victorian short stories The Red Room and the Signal Man How do the authors create tension and suspense
The first 200 words of this essay...
Compare the Victorian short stories
'The Red Room' and 'the Signal Man'
How do the authors create tension and suspense for the author?
Although these two pieces of writing have different storylines, the authors still use the same techniques to apply mystery and suspense to their story. Mystery and suspense is mainly trying to keep the reader guessing throughout the story and wanting to read on to find out the answers and whether their guesses are correct. The techniques used are mainly theme, character and narrative structure.
The signal man and the Red Room are both pieces of unique gothic literature, which come under the ghost story genre. The object of these kinds of stories is to scare the reader and to keep them on the edge of their seats. Both of theses stories were written in the Victorian age, where ghost stories were more popular than ever, during this period of time I think people were more easily scared, that is why many ghost stories were written during this period of time. Ghost stories are still enjoyed by many people today, they still keep the reader on the edge of
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Miscellaneous (view all)
- Analysis Of Isaac Asimov's "The Fun they Had"
- The Crucible - How does Arthur Miller use dramatic devices i...
- Dream holiday essay
- An Inspector Calls Essay
- Letter to daniel
- The stories of Macbeth and Frankenstein are two texts depict...
- Compare the ways in which the two writers create an atmosphe...
- Compare how Orwell, a British novelist writing in the 1940s,...
- In the stories, The Meaning of Elephants and The Last Class,...
- Money and Happiness, It Never Works Together. In Goodbye Co...
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.