- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
"Strongman" by Tony Curtis and "Mid-termbreak" by Seamus Heaney deal with the subject of death of a family member. Compare both poems showing how the poets introduce their subjects. Which poem did you prefer and why?
The first 200 words of this essay...
"Strongman" by Tony Curtis and "Mid-term break" by Seamus Heaney deal with the subject death of a family member. Compare both poems showing how the poets introduce their subjects. Which poem did you prefer and why?
One of the poets, Tony Curtis, is Welsh, whilst, Seamus Heaney is Irish. Seamus Heaney has grown up on a farm in Northern Ireland with his brothers and his parents. The whole family has taken on the family business of farming, while Seamus Heaney received an education. Both poets are still alive today.
These two poems describe the deaths of a family member. The "Mid-term break" is the tragic death of Heaney's four-year-old brother and the poem progresses over twenty-four hours. "Strongman" is describing the author's strong, caring father who dies naturally in "his final hour". While the "Mid-Term Break" had an awkward and devastating mood the "Strongman" has a more positive outlook on the family member's death as it looks back into the younger, happier times. There are a few other comparisons that can be made, whilst the "Mid-Term Break" is a death that shocked people, the "Strongman" was a peaceful and easy to accept death.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Seamus Heaney (view all)
- the early purges
- How effectively does Heaney describe the transition from inn...
- Satire Essay
- The genre of nature poetry shows us the importance and beaut...
- Compare the ways in which Heaney presents family feelings in...
- How does Heaney make "Mid-Term Break" such a movin...
- In what ways does Heaney vividly convey feelings of disappoi...
- How does Heaney vividly explore the nature of fear in An Adv...
- Mid-Term Break - Adaption from poem to story
- Mid-Term Break: Critical Essay. Heaney reveals his true fee...
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.