- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Study the character of Simon from the novel Lord of the Flies.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Simon maintains a positive outlook on the boys' situation. He represents purity and goodness and can be seen as a Christ-like figure.
He constantly reinforces his belief that they will be rescued when the other boys are pessimistic and have given up hope.
During chapter 5, Simon is perceptive enough to recognise that the "beast" the boys are obsessive about is "only us" - he recognises the evil and savagery that is within them and threatening to take them over with the loss of all rationality.
It is in Chapter 5 that Simon encounters the head of the pig killed by the other boys in the forest. This event provides the title for the book as he names the pig's head "Lord of the Flies". He converses with the pig's head, partly through his own imagination and partly via an unaccountable and savage voice. For Simon this is the confirmation of his belief that he is coming face-to-face with "The beast in everyone". He collapses in a faint and this foreshadows his death in chapter 9.
In chapter 9, Simon is killed by the other boys, fulfilling the prophecy of the Lord of
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
William Golding (view all)
- Lord of the flies. How does Golding make Simon such a signi...
- Read the passages in Chapter 3 where Jack and Simon are each...
- Less Obvious Symbols in Lord of the Flies
- How does William Golding show evil at work in Lord of the Fl...
- Violent Society in Lord of the Flies
- How is Jack presented in" Lord of the Flies"?
- How does Golding introduce his protagonists in Lord Of The F...
- Golding - Lord of the Flies extract - confronting the beast.
- I will explore how the themes of civilisation and barbarity ...
- Lord of the Flies -Symbolism and the Character of Jack.
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.