- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Study the character of Simon from the novel Lord of the Flies.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Simon maintains a positive outlook on the boys' situation. He represents purity and goodness and can be seen as a Christ-like figure.
He constantly reinforces his belief that they will be rescued when the other boys are pessimistic and have given up hope.
During chapter 5, Simon is perceptive enough to recognise that the "beast" the boys are obsessive about is "only us" - he recognises the evil and savagery that is within them and threatening to take them over with the loss of all rationality.
It is in Chapter 5 that Simon encounters the head of the pig killed by the other boys in the forest. This event provides the title for the book as he names the pig's head "Lord of the Flies". He converses with the pig's head, partly through his own imagination and partly via an unaccountable and savage voice. For Simon this is the confirmation of his belief that he is coming face-to-face with "The beast in everyone". He collapses in a faint and this foreshadows his death in chapter 9.
In chapter 9, Simon is killed by the other boys, fulfilling the prophecy of the Lord of the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
William Golding (view all)
- Analysis of Lord of the Flies.
- Fear of the Unknown- Lord of the Flies
- How does 'Lord of the Flies' convey the struggle between goo...
- A comparison of the way Piggy's death is portrayed in - &quo...
- Why is setting significant in Lord of the Flies?
- I will explore how the themes of civilisation and barbarity ...
- Lord of the Flies -Symbolism and the Character of Jack.
- Macbeth by Shakespeare and Lord of the Flies by William Gold...
- How Does Golding Use The Island As A Character In Lord Of Th...
- How does Golding convey the differences between Jack, Simon ...
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.