- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The Changes that took place in English SocietyDuring the Holmes and Watson era.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Daniel Ellis 10TYL/10C1
Ms Wilby, English
The Changes that took place in English Society
During the Holmes and Watson era.
From reading the "Sherlock Holmes" stories "The Speckled Band" and "The Final Problem" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, I have found that the English Society and Lifestyles changed over the course of the thirty-five years in which the stories were written. Throughout this essay I will discuss points which will be relevant to the changes of English Society and lifestyles through this period of time. These will be the following points I will discuss about each book:
? The sort of life led by Holmes and Watson
? The different lifestyles of the people they encounter
? The place of servants
? The role of women
? Details of public life, such as politics, law and order, etc.
? Details of everyday life, such as systems of communication and transport, new technology, etc.
The Speckled Band
The sort of lives led by Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson are of a middle class standard; an example of this could be the language they use with each other:
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Arthur Conan Doyle (view all)
- Summary Of The Speckled Band
- Hounds Of The Baskervilles - The relationship between Sherlo...
- Why does Doyle choose to use Watson to narrate The Hound of ...
- Discuss how Conan Doyle presents the character of Dr Roylott...
- COMPRAE AND CONTRAST THE CHARACTER OF SHERLOCK HOLMES AND ...
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.