- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The Crucible by Arthur Miller - John Proctor.
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Crucible by Arthur Miller - John Proctor
The writer, Arthur Miller, wrote the crucible in 1953. Miller was born in New York on October 17th, 1915, and he has influenced the Broadway stage for several decades. Miller's plays usually deal with contemporary political and moral issues. He began writing plays whilst he was at the university of Michigan, where many of his dramatisations were awarded with prizes, for example, in 1937 one of his plays received an annual award. With first successes ('All my sons' and 'Death of a salesman'), Miller condemned the American idea of prosperity because he thought that only few could reach this without moral compromises. In The Crucible, he writes about the colonial witch hunts in Salem and implies a parallel to the investigation into communists in the McCarthy era.
Throughout the 1940s and 1950s, a young senator (Joseph McCarthy) was very concerned about communism in Eastern Europe and China. Because of his concerns, McCarthy accused more than 200 American citizens of being communists that had infiltrated the American government. Many people had their passport cancelled or were even jailed for refusing to give the names of other communists. During this time, there
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Arthur Miller (view all)
- Theme of love in a view from the bridge
- Human Motivation in the Crucible. Abigail, Thomas Putnam, an...
- The Crucible: Act III quotes and analysis
- A View from the Bridge: Eddie and Catherine's Relationship
- Examine miller's presentation of the marriage of John and El...
- How is Eddie Represented in 'A View from the Bridge'?
- In some sense, 'The Crucible' has the arrangement of a trage...
- Death of a Salesman. What do you think makes this conversati...
- How does Miller make the Vinny Bolzano Story a Fascinating M...
- Jealousy is a very important theme in the play A view from a...
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.