- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The Darkness Out There - The Signal Man - A comparetive study
The first 200 words of this essay...
ENGLISH WIDE READING
The mood at the beginning of both stories could not contrast any more than it does. 'The Darkness Out There' has a beginning that is summery and fresh. Whereas 'The Signal Man' has a start that is very eerie and creates a sense of fear. A factor that runs all the way through the story.
The effect that the beginning of 'The Darkness Out There' has is that Mrs Rutter's story hits the reader when they are not expecting it making it a lot more shocking. The mood change is massive. 'The Signalman' however, attempts to sustain the atmosphere from beginning to end. This makes the overall story more eerie by gripping the reader so that they want to read on to discover what happens later on.
Historically the two texts are set in very different periods. With 'The Signalman' being set in the Victorian era and 'The Darkness Out There' being set around the 1970's. We can tell this because of many factors such as the types of jobs mentioned. Signalmen worked on early railways and were abandoned when electronic signalling was introduced into railways. Also the language used in
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
The Signalman (view all)
- How Does Charles Dickens Create Suspense in The Signalman?
- An Appreciation of the Short Story ‘The Black Veil&...
- Compare three Victorian Ghost Stories
- “The Signalman,” by Charles Dickens
- Analysing 4 Short Horror Story Openings.
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo
""Zoey. University Student.