- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
'The Early Purges' by Seamus Heaney focuses on the traumas of childhood, and how impressionable we are when we are young.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Seamus Heaney and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Early Purges
By Seamus Heaney
'The Early Purges' by Seamus Heaney focuses on the traumas of childhood, and how impressionable we are when we are young. The poem is sad: it is about a child who sees kittens drowning, along with many other animals being killed in various methods on a farm. At the time the child is terrified, but by the end of the poem the fully-grown child is doing all the deeds he was so scared of when he was young. Heaney used many literary techniques to get the feelings and thoughts across effectively, this essay will look at how, and why he did this.
The main theme of the poem is all about how we change when we grow up. There is direct contrast between the first and last lines:
'I was six when I first saw kittens drown'
And the last line;
'On well run farms pests have to be kept down'
The first line connotes a sad boy standing forlornly watching helpless kittens drown. The last line is about the same person but by the time he has grown up he is saying almost the exact opposite.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Seamus Heaney (view all)
- Compare and contrast blackberry picking and death of a natur...
- An analysis of "Follower" by Seamus Heaney
- Ancestral Photograph - Seamus Heaney.
- Seamus Heaney - Death of A Naturalist
- The Barn and Mid-Term Break - Seamus Heaney
- How does Heaney make "Mid-Term Break" such a movin...
- In what ways does Heaney vividly convey feelings of disappoi...
- How does Heaney vividly explore the nature of fear in An Adv...
- Mid-Term Break - Adaption from poem to story
- Mid-Term Break: Critical Essay. Heaney reveals his true fee...
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.