- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The Handmaid’s Tale characters are all presented in a way which hides one part of their personnalities
The first 200 words of this essay...
Character Analysis : The Commander
Gilead is a very unique world, thanks to Margaret Atwood! In The Handmaid's Tail, it seems like all the characters are presented in a way which hides one part of their personalities. For the commander, it is his acceptation of the world he partly created, his happiness, which is hidden. He doesn't seem to be happy, but in fact he is. In this essay, I will show you that the commander really likes the way his life has taken and that he is an hypocritical and selfish man.
The Commander lives a very normal life, comparatively to every character of the novel : he has a job which he goes to every day, he has a wife (let's not talk about her any further...), friends (his club), and a mistress(or more than one?)! It is true that his wife does not give him the hapiness a wife should, but in general, the Commander is a pleased man, for he has or obtain everything he wants. Also, let's not forget the fact that he's one of the creators of Gilead, and therefore can have access to anything that's still existing. The power
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Margaret Atwood (view all)
- How does Margaret Atwood create the sense that Gilead is a d...
- The epilogue is a transcript of a symposium held in 2195, in...
- Was The Handmaid's Tale written from a feminist or anti-femi...
- What role does Moira play in the novel?
- Compare and contrast the narrative structures in 'White Teet...
- Conformity in Margaret Atwood's Novel: The Handmaid's Tale
- The Handmaid's tale - the character of the Commander
- Handmaid's Tale - the character of Offred.
- HM Essay
- The Handmaid tale essay
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.