- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The Metaphysical Poets: John Donne and Andrew Marvell.
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Metaphysical Poets: John Donne and Andrew Marvell
All three poems are about love, passion and romance; they are by two metaphysical poets, Andrew Marvell and John Donne. Both these poets wrote their poems to try and successfully seduce a woman. All three poems have different styles and techniques that the poets think will appeal to the woman of their lust and desire. The poems that I have chosen to compare are, 'To His Coy Mistress' by Andrew Marvell and 'The Good-Morrow' by John Donne. The first poem I will study will be Andrew Marvell's 'To his Coy Mistress'.
Andrew Marvell's poem 'To His Coy Mistress', uses flattery throughout the first stanza, for example he begins by trying to gently ease his beautiful lady 'out of her shell', for she is young, timid and shy. Shyness is shown in the title of the poem 'To his 'Coy' Mistress', coy meaning shy, and she is also still a virgin so Marvell uses a 'softly softly' approach trying to cajole his fair dame. He knows if he opens softly and slowly he can build up to the climax of his flattery as he slowly does throughout the poem.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Andrew Marvell (view all)
- With close reference to the two poems which you have studied...
- In "Ozymandias" the subject of the passing of time...
- A Dialogue between the Soul and Body by Andrew Marvell
- Compare The Treatment Of The Themes Of Love And Time In The ...
- Comparison of 'Our Love Now' and 'One Flesh' with 'To His Co...
- "To His Coy Mistress" Response
- Metaphysical Love Poems
- Andrew Marvells To His Coy Mistress was written in the Seven...
- English essay
- To his coy mistress by Andrew Marvell
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.