- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The novel The Time Machine is centred on the events which take place when a man of science-whose name is not given- journeys forward into the future
The first 200 words of this essay...
The novel The Time Machine is centred on the events which take place when a man of science-whose name is not given- journeys forward into the future, to the year 802,701. While there, the Time Traveller is able to make connection with his own time, and makes assumptions about how thing have changed, to more extreme forms of life.
The comparisons that the Time Traveller makes are to do with the social systems he encounters. The political and social structures of the Time Traveller's own time, were strictly based upon classes. The upper classes ran everything, and had total control over the working classes. The times themselves were driven by capitalist ideology, with little thought given by the upper classes for which they abused to gain higher profits and lower cost. The poor lived in some of the most abject squalor imaginable. Indeed, the reports of the time struggled to express these conditions. The Victorians viewed people by their class; this meant that it was very hard to enter a social class above ones own, as very few people higher up the chain would want anything to do with those below themselves, feeling that to associate with them would lower
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
H.G. Wells (view all)
- 'How does the composer, Shaun Tan, convey the central themes...
- "The last spin" by Evan hunter is a short story ab...
- Analysis of the Imagery and Sensuous Appeal: "The Battl...
- How does HG Wells create the mood and atmosphere of suspense...
- Identify the different traits in genetics and determine whet...
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.