- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
How does the director create suspense in the film 'The Others'? Refer to three scenes in your answer.
The film `The Others' (2001) directed by Alejandro Amenàbar is a traditional ghost/thriller story. It is set in 1945, after the second world war and tells the story of Grace Stewart (Nicole Kidman) and her two children (Anne-Alacina Marn and Nicholas-James Bently) who live in an isolated grand house on the island of Jersey. It soon becomes obvious that there are `Others' sharing the house with the family, aswell as the unusual arrival of three servants. The film has many links with other horror films including `The Sixth Sense', `Rebecca' and `The Innocents'. Throughout the film it is evident that facts are being hidden not only from the characters but the audience also. The main twist in the film is that it is revealed the family and servants died, and the mother killed the two children.
The director has made the film full of anticipation and suspense. One of the main emphasises is on lighting. The two children are photosensitive therefore can't be exposed to more light than a dim candle, so the house is plunged into darkness;
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Writing to Inform, Explain and Describe (view all)
- Descriptive Writing Of A Beach
- We will be looking at spoken Language of TV chefs Nigella la...
- Descriptive essay - Description of a fun fair and guidelines...
- Coursework Assignment: Creative Writing
- Describe the scene of a school lunch hall
- Story writing (Alien Mysteries Introduction)
- The novel, Looking for Alibrandi, the documentary, Australia...
- Writing about sibling rivalry
- The moment had passed - our school farewell party.
- A Walk Through The Woods
- Morning of the execution. Within a few hours, her brother w...
- Describe a person you admire. Though I have lived a colou...
- Supermarket Description - Sleek, automatic, glass doors slid...
- A Foreboding Night. Ian sat on the curb, his hands buried d...
- (Descriptive Writing) Describe the sights and sounds of a ma...
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.