- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The play 'An Inspector Calls' by JB Priestly is a dramatic thriller. It was written in 1945 and set just before the first World War, so the audience could relate to the setting and perhaps remember their past attitude towards community.
The first 200 words of this essay...
AN INSPECTOR CALLS
The play 'An Inspector Calls' by JB Priestly is a dramatic thriller. It was written in 1945 and set just before the first World War, so the audience could relate to the setting and perhaps remember their past attitude towards community. Priestly was a pacifist, someone who was against wars, and he had experienced two; so the play has a message conveying social harmony. JB Priestly may have wanted some of the audience who are richer than others, to appreciate them for who they are. He uses the Birlings and Eva Smith to promote that concept.
The Birling family are the main characters in the play. They are a rich family, sitting in the dining room. The family are a very arrogant family who think they are above many others; they are lead by Mr. Birling. Birling is an owner of a factory, called 'Birling and Company'. Mrs Birling doesn't seem condescending at first, like her children Eric and Sheila. Gerald Croft - who is engaged to Sheila, which is what everyone there is celebrating, joins the family. Birling considers himself the alpha-male of the family and a "hard-headed business man," and seems
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
J.B. Priestley (view all)
- EVA Smith's DIARY ENTRIES
- The apportioning of blame and responsibility are central the...
- How does the character Sheila Birlings change in the play An...
- The end of Act 2 of 'An Inspector Calls' is full of suspense...
- An Inspector Calls - Eva Smith's Diary
- An Inspector Calls: Do you think Mrs Birling is more to blam...
- An Inspector Calls Extract - Act One. W h a t d o e s t ...
- Explore the Development of the Character of Sheila in 'An In...
- How does Priestly portray Mr Birling in Act 1?
- How is Eva Smith presented in the play? What is the function...
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.