- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The poet Edgar Guest had a significant life. Although many people have not heard of his name, he was still one of the most widely published and accessible poets during the 19th and 20th century
The first 200 words of this essay...
Biography of Edgar Albert Guest
The poet Edgar Guest had a significant life. Although many people have not heard of his name, he was still one of the most widely published and accessible poets during the 19th and 20th century and even to this day. To fully understand his importance, it is necessary to examine background, career, and influence he had on others through his poems.
Edgar Guest was born on August 20th 1881 in the town off Birmingham, England (Poets.org). When he was ten years old, his family came to the United States and settled in Detroit, Michigan where he was educated. After Edwin (his father) lost his job, Edgar at the age of eleven began working as a copy boy at the Detroit Free Press part time. Later, Edgar's father died when he was seventeen years old and Edgar had to drop out of high school to support himself and his family so he started to work full time at the Detroit Free Press where he stayed for the next 60 years (Poets.org). He worked his way up quickly working through several jobs and eventually achieved a higher position. Edgar was soon known as
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Miscellaneous (view all)
- Compare and Contrast 'Sonnet' and 'Salcombe'
- Hunting snake is the poem written by Judith Wright, an Austr...
- romeo and juliet newspaper article
- Seamus Heaney poetry comparison
- Analysis of "Seven Ages of Man" by William Shakesp...
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.