- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The Red Room
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Red Room
By: H.G Wells
3. The red room is an example of a Gothic horror story. Describe how language is used by H.G. Wells to create an atmosphere of fear and suspense that makes you want to read on.
I understand the Gothic genre to have several different typical characteristics, including; madness; the character would go mad as a result of the test or situation to which he/she had to go through. Other characteristics are gloomy, cold and dark where the corridor, room etc. is completely submerged in darkness and cold. In this story especially we see a different feature of Gothic and that is queer, unnatural. All these factors contribute to another trait which is the main one in this story and that is fear. The character is so scared from the cold unnatural darkness that they go mad.
It is classically Gothic to contrast "the light" and "the darkness" or "the shadow." This is supposed to give the impression of "dark," sinister, menacing, and mysterious. This usually means that the darkness is what will be triumphant, and the light is either weak and isolated or completely absorbed. We can see the influence
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Miscellaneous (view all)
- Analysis Of Isaac Asimov's "The Fun they Had"
- Dream holiday essay
- An Inspector Calls Essay
- Letter to daniel
- The transformation of Eliza Doolittle
- The stories of Macbeth and Frankenstein are two texts depict...
- Compare the ways in which the two writers create an atmosphe...
- Compare how Orwell, a British novelist writing in the 1940s,...
- In the stories, The Meaning of Elephants and The Last Class,...
- Money and Happiness, It Never Works Together. In Goodbye Co...
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.