- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
'The Red Room'.
The first 200 words of this essay...
THE RED ROOM
People have always enjoyed ghost stories, when you read a ghost story it makes you feel the fear and tension the character is going through. The title 'The Red Room' immediately attracts the reader's attention, "what is it?" "Why red?" When something is red it makes us think of something sinister and dangerous. The title alone makes you curious and want to read on.
A short story has to attract the reader by building up tension to keep it interesting. If all the action is at once or happens too quickly, the reader soon loses interest. The writer has to build up tension and then calm it down, then raising it a little so that the reader stays interested.
The first lines in a book are always very important; they give us an idea of the story and grasp the reader's attention.
" I can assure you, that it will take a very tangible ghost to frighten me".
From the first line we know the story has a ghost theme and that the character is quite educated and arrogantly thinks he's better than most. The writer does this to get the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
H.G. Wells (view all)
- Explain the relationship between the Eloi and the Morlocks, ...
- What are the important characteristics of an effective ghost...
- What is the effect of the juxtaposition of the ordinary and ...
- How does H.G Wells create suspense in 'The Cone'?
- What is there of interest to a twenty-first century reader i...
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.