- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The Sherlock Holmes stories are popular with middle class people because he is standing up for middle class people in his stories
The first 200 words of this essay...
Sherlock Holmes is a famous fictional detective with his own series of books written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. The people of Victorian England loved Sherlock Holmes because he always got his man, and the police in their time could not get anyone.
Another reason the English people from the Victorian era loved Sherlock Holmes is the way he solves the crimes.He sometimes acts stupidly to catch criminals or uses role reversal and take the criminals for fools. Sherlock Holmes is seen as an amateur detective that you can count on.
In "The Red Headed League" Holmes shows he is truly a great detective by changing personalities to handle the suspects. He uses sarcasm, intelligence, his ability to appear calm,his sense of humour and of course his deductive and observant mind. In this story, however, he mainly uses his observant mind and sense of humour. 'Until the comical side of the affair so completely over-topped every other consideration that both burst out into a roar of long laughter.' He has the criminal copying from a dictionary for no reason, which is quite amusing. Then he uses both his sense of humour and observant mind when
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Arthur Conan Doyle (view all)
- "Talking in Whispers" By James Watson conveys the ...
- Discuss how Conan Doyle presents the character of Dr Roylott...
- The Characteristics of Sherlock Holmes
- What are the features which make a good detective story?
- Write a diary entry or entries as if you are Helen Stoner. R...
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student