- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The Son's Veto: Thomas Hardy - The mother in this story sacrifices everything for a son who doesn't even seem to care about her. Women today would not act like this. Do you agree?
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Thomas Hardy and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Son's Veto: Thomas Hardy
The mother in this story sacrifices everything for a son who doesn't even seem to care about her. Women today would not act like this. Do you agree?
The son's veto is a story about a woman, Sophy, who marries the local vicar out of respect not love. They have a child and because of his high class background and her lower class history she is looked down upon by all. When the vicar eventually dies, she meets up with her first love, Sam, and wants to re-marry. The son who cares only for himself, because of the way Sophy raised him, and tells her firmly that she will not marry and eventually becomes violent towards her. Upon looking at the title of the story 'The Son's Veto it will become fairly obvious to the reader that the son will veto something.
Veto: 1. The power to prevent legislation or action proposed by others.
2. To refuse consent to a proposal
3. To prohibit, ban or forbid.
Looking at how the story develops the reader would know that he would veto something that Sophy wants,
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Thomas Hardy (view all)
- Kiss Miss Carol Farrukh Dhondy
- The man he killed analysis. Through this poem, Hardy is exp...
- Compare 4 of Thomas Hardy's poems In this essay I will compa...
- Poetry Appreciation - 'The Convergence of the Twain' by Thom...
- Compare 'The Ruined Maid' by Thomas Hardy, and 'Cousin Kate'...
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.