- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The Three Girls in Billy Fishers life.
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Three Girls in Billy Fishers life
In this play, there are three main girls in Billy Fishers life. Barbara, who is the old fashioned type who believes in a perfect future with two children and a lovely cottage in Devon, Rita, who is a loud mouthed girl with a "sluttish" appearance and Liz, who can never rest in one place but is very similar to Billy in her thinking.
We are led to believe by the writer that Barbara is a very slow thinker. There are quite a few points in the play where we see this but I think the most obvious one is when Rita comes into the Fisher household and starts shouting about what she and Billy have been doing down at Foley Bottoms. Even though it is plainly obvious what she is talking about, Barbara still says to Billy " Billy, have you been having relations with this girl?". This is emphasized even more when the stage directions say; (finding the right words at last).
We are also shown that Barbara is afraid of physical contact, especially from Billy. She is very old fashioned with her morals about sex
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Educating Rita (view all)
- Short questions and answers from Educating Rita
- 20th Century Drama - Educating Rita by Willy Russell.
- Discuss the ways in which Russell's vision for 'Educating Ri...
- Educating Rita is a funny play dealing with serious issues -...
- How does Russell reveal to the audience the change in Rita's...
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo