- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
'Twickenham Garden' by John Donne is a meta-physical poem
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Poetry and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
1) 'Twickenham Garden' is a meta-physical poem in the sense that the main focus is about love and the fact that Donne cannot receive any back from the girl he has fallen in love with. In this poem love is mentioned continually throughout in different contexts. In the first stanza Donne is describing his state of misery and loneliness and the inner turmoil he suffers from falling in love with a woman he cannot have. The first line: "Blasted with sighs, and surrounded with teares" is showing his sate of mind, he feels as though his heart had been 'blasted' with the sighs he utters when he is alone and depressed. The metaphors Donne uses to express these feelings are meta-physical because they deal with feelings and other none physical attributes like a broken heart. The line "O, selfe traytor" shows that he himself is not happy with the fact he has fallen in love with a married woman, He feels as though his heart has betrayed him. The final line "True Paradise, I have the serpent brought" makes it seem as though as he walks through this lush garden that plants wither and die, as he walks past
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Love Poetry (view all)
- Monologue on Havisham
- Cousin Kate & Porphyrias Lover - analysis of how love i...
- Analysis of 'A woman to her lover' by Christina Walsh
- Silver Wedding - Marriage Birth And Death
- Aileen Wuornos suffers from borderline personality disorder,...
- The poem first love is written by John Clare. The thoughts h...
- How do two poems you have studied explore the differences be...
- "Loves Diet" by John Donne
- The poem Go and catch a falling star is written by the humor...
- Love & Loss - analyse and compare two different love and...
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.