- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
What dramatic techniques does J B Priestley use to sustain the audience’s interest in the play?
The first 200 words of this essay...
What dramatic techniques does J B Priestley use to sustain the audience's interest in the play?
J.B. Priestley uses a great number of ways to sustain the audience's interest in 'An Inspector Calls' by using a variety of dramatic techniques. The play was set in 1912, and being set at this time, there was not only the opportunity for predictions, but also for a more drastic look at the relationship between the rich and the poor. The class gap of 1912 was much larger than that of 1946, and so was more noticeable to the audiences. Priestley tries to put a number of messages across to the audience with dramatic devices. In the play he teaches of how, '...man will be taught in fire, blood and anguish.'
The whole play is centred around the inspectors' constant interrogation and questioning. This enables us to understand the characters' personalities, their morals, values, and abilities to realise their own mistakes and change. It is through this interrogation that most, if not all of the relevant information in the play is unveiled, allowing us to go from that state of ignorance to the state of knowledge.
The character of Inspector Goole
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
J.B. Priestley (view all)
- Discuss The Role Of Eric Birling In The Play: An Inspector C...
- Discussthe role of the Inspector in the play 'An Inspector C...
- Character Analysis - Gerald Croft.
- Questions and Answers on "An Inspector Calls"
- How does Priestly present Mrs Birling?
- An Inspector Calls: Do you think Mrs Birling is more to blam...
- An Inspector Calls Extract - Act One. W h a t d o e s t ...
- Explore the Development of the Character of Sheila in 'An In...
- How does Priestly portray Mr Birling in Act 1?
- How is Eva Smith presented in the play? What is the function...
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.