- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
What impression of Rita does Willy Russell create in Act One, Scene One? How does this character develop throughout the play?
The first 200 words of this essay...
What impression of Rita does Willy Russell create in Act One, Scene One?
How does this character develop throughout the play?
Educating Rita was written by Willy Russell in the late seventies and first performed in the early eighties, to rave reviews. His device of using comedy to portray important issues in the contemporary time of social unrest meant that the play was accessible to many, and so became very popular. One of the main sources of this juxtaposition of comedy and seriousness is Rita, and her search to 'find herself'. This essay explores how the author creates a lasting impression of Rita in the first scene, and shows how she develops in later scenes throughout the play.
The first scene is, arguably, the most essential to the play. It is the scene that has to captivate the audience's attention, so that they want to see what will happen in later scenes. It is also (perhaps most importantly) the one that gives us our first insights on the main - indeed the only - characters we see; that is, Rita and Frank, and shapes our perceptions of them throughout the rest of their story. These
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Educating Rita (view all)
- Montana 1948 traces David's journey from innocence to an awa...
- "Montana 1948 is a novel about the struggle between hon...
- Educating Rita: Rita Character Analysis
- Drink Driving and Tort of Negligence Analysis
- Both Educating Rita and Pygmalion explore significant themes...
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.