- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
What is Dickens social commentary of Victorian England in A Christmas Carol?
The first 200 words of this essay...
What is Dickens social
Commentary of Victorian
England in "A Christmas Carol"
Christmas is a time of thanks giving and happiness. The religious significance of Christmas is birth, life and death and so should be celebrated by thanking for what they have got. At Christmas people give presents and have a service in church but in Victorian England things were very different to these days because back then food and presents were only given because of some people's generosity. Dickens is saying through the character of Scrooge that Christmas is a time of spending time with the family but in the modern days people are very capitalist and worry about how much profit they make rather then spending time with the family. Christmas is a time of giving and being generous but Charles Dickens explores the 19th century by showing the poverty and that there were no benefits for the poor so if you didn't work you didn't get. Today life is very different because benefits are available and other welfare schemes to help the poor. In the 19th century the Industrial Revolution took place so more money came into the economy but the poor were
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
A Christmas Carol (view all)
- English Lit How Does Charles Dickens Use Imagery and Languag...
- A Christmas Carol How Does Scrooge Change Through Staves 1 -...
- What are the moral lessons Dickens wished to convey in A Chr...
- How Does Dickens Portray Poverty In A Christmas Carol.
- How does Charles Dickens present the character of Scrooge In...
- How Does Scrooge Change in "A Christmas Carol"?
- The Change in Scrooge in "A Christmas Carol".
- In your opinion how colourfully does Dickens portray Victori...
- An essay on A Christmas Carol. I will discuss how Dickens us...
- Scrooge makes a moral journey in Dickens A Christmas Carol. ...
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.