- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
What is the Significance of the Witches in Macbeth?
- Essay length: 4364 words
- Submitted: 31/10/2009
The first 200 words of this essay...
What is the Significance of the Witches in 'Macbeth'?
'Macbeth' is set in 11th century Scotland - a time of political unrest with lots of violence, murders and rivalry to do with politics and kings. In these times competent and noble leaders were often killed for ambition and greed. Shakespeare explores these issues in the play.
Although 'Macbeth' is set in a period a long time ago, its themes are still relevant to any society and age - even today. Shakespeare writes about issues that have been in any time. An example is whether leaders are good or bad and what qualities they have that shows this. 'Macbeth' also demonstrates the role of ambition in society and how it affects everyone both short term and long term. The play shows how power is gained and kept be that by legitimate reasons or by wrong methods such as usurpation.
Shakespeare was a patron of King James I, who supported Macbeth and his plays. Therefore James I had some influence on the play, and several elements of the play appear; such as the divine nature of kings which James strongly believed him. This Divine Order is a theory about
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Macbeth (view all)
- 'Macbeth' gives us a classic example of the literary definit...
- Lady Macbeth's Character in Macbeth.
- 'Lady Macbeth is the most interesting and disturbed characte...
- The atmosphere in Macbeth is one of nightmare and evil.&...
- how does shakespeare present the witches in Macbeth and to w...
- Macbeth Act 1 Scene 1 Analysis
- How does the character of Macbeth change from Act 1:3 to act...
- Macbeth's disturbed character, corruption and downfall.
- The letter, read alone by Lady Macbeth, reiterates the witch...
- Paying particular attention to act 1 scene 5 & 7, analys...
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.
""Zoey. University Student.