- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
What role does Boxer play in 'Animal Farm', and why does Napoleon feel so threatened by him?
Are you in the right place?
Jump to George Orwell and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
3. What role does Boxer play in 'Animal Farm', and why does Napoleon
feel so threatened by him?
Boxer was George Orwell's version of the Russian Stakonovites. The Stakonovites were renowned in the USSR as role models because of the effort and hours that they put into their work. They were the most reliable and strongest workers, often working twice as long as the other workers were. The Stakonovites believed that by working harder, their problems would be eliminated. However, later on Alexei Stakhanov suffered from overwork, understandably due to his immense effort. He was able to mine a hundred and two tonnes of coal in one shift while the average for someone else would've been six or seven tonnes of coal. Boxer, like the Stakonovites, was 'admiration of everybody'. He worked harder and longer than anyone else did; he always worked even after the other animals had retired to rest. Boxer was determined to work harder to solve any problems that the farm may have, his personal motto was 'I will work harder.' When Boxer suffered from overwork, Napoleon sold him to the horse slaughterer.
Boxer was 'universally respected' by the animals
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Animal Farm (view all)
- How does Major seek to persuade the animals in chapter one o...
- Chapter's 7 - 10 Summary of Animal Farm.
- This excerpt of Marrakech by George Orwell outlines what tim...
- The Rain Horse-Diary Extract.
- The Use of Language in Animal FarmAnimal Farm by George Orwe...
- Animal Farm-Question form an Extract from Chapter 8.
- In the novel Animal Farm, author George Orwell shows through...
- Power Corrupts and Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely. Disc...
- Explore the ways that the writers use contrast within a char...
- Animal Farm is a story of betrayal; a fable which uses anima...
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.