- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
What role does Moira play in the novel?
The first 200 words of this essay...
3. What role does Moira play in the novel?
Moira is Offred's best friend. She is a part of Offred's life in all three time phases of the novel. In the "time before" they were easy-going college students together, and they meet again at the Red Center. Moira is a strong-willed woman who is not intimidated by the regime. She possesses an irreverent sense of humor and is like a breath of fresh air in the stilted, enclosed, fearful world of the Center. The first thing she says to Offred when they meet again is simply, "This is a loony bin " (ch. 13). This reveals Moira's down-to-earth nature, her willingness to describe things the way they are. Moira has a strength that makes Offred feel safer just because of her presence. There is something indomitable about her. When Moira first tells Offred about her plan to escape, Offred cannot bear the thought of being without her. But Moira is determined. Unlike Offred, she will not put up with how she is treated. She has the courage to resist. Even when she is whipped on the soles of her feet after her failed attempt to escape, she
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Margaret Atwood (view all)
- Discuss the impact of a poem of your choice in which the poe...
- The Handmaid's Tale - What are the main methods of control i...
- The Handmaid's Tale. Chapter 10 - Textual Analysis.
- Explore the issues concerning women and feminism raised in T...
- How does the extract affect the whole story? ("The Pers...
- Conformity in Margaret Atwood's Novel: The Handmaid's Tale
- The Handmaid's tale - the character of the Commander
- Handmaid's Tale - the character of Offred.
- HM Essay
- The Handmaid tale essay
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.