- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
"Why don't you dance"
Are you in the right place?
Jump to William Golding and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
"Why don't you dance"
by Raymond Carver
The story is set in suburban America in the 1970'es. The main character, who remains nameless throughout the whole story, hast just moved his whole bedroom out into the street, lamps plugged in and all. The time is backed by the appliances - the boy turns on the TV set and makes minor adjustments, and you get the feeling, that he is turning the knobs to get a sharp picture. Also, in the seventies, everybody had a TV but it was still, as it is today, a rather big expense.
The characters are: The man (the main character), the girl and the boy, who is the only character in our story to be called by his name, Jack.
The man is middle-aged. In the beginning of the story, he brings out a lot of things from his home, and most of them are gifts. The nature of the things, suggests that they are wedding presents (a box of silverware, a record player, a muslin cloth). These are typically things you would get a couple of newly-weds for their shared home. Something has happened to his wife
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
William Golding (view all)
- Fear of the Unknown- Lord of the Flies
- Read the passages in Chapter 3 where Jack and Simon are each...
- Compare and Contrast the Writer's treatment of the Themes of...
- Lord of the flies: How does Golding Present the Loss of Inn...
- Analysis of Lord of the Flies.
- I will explore how the themes of civilisation and barbarity ...
- Lord of the Flies -Symbolism and the Character of Jack.
- Macbeth by Shakespeare and Lord of the Flies by William Gold...
- How Does Golding Use The Island As A Character In Lord Of Th...
- How does Golding convey the differences between Jack, Simon ...
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.