- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Write a critical analysis of the passage from
The first 200 words of this essay...
Write a critical analysis of the passage from "A Handful of Dust" starting "is mummy coming back today?" (p55) and finishing "I've been carrying on anyhow this week" (p 57), showing how far you think it typical of Waugh's methods and effects in the novel.
The passage starts with John Andrew, the most innocent person in the novel speaking. He is questioning the absence of his mother and waiting eagerly for her return from "monkey-woman's party". His father reassures him that she is sure to be back that very day. John Andrew points out that Brenda would not have seen Thunderclap for four days, this is sweet as he misses the point that she has not seen her own son for four days either! It shows how attached little John Andrew is to his horse, as if he were in his mother's shoes he would not be desperate to get back to his mother but to his horse. We know that Brenda and Tony do not play a big part in John's life, he has a nanny and is close to the stable boy, and sees him as a role model.
It is clear to see that Tony
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Aldous Huxley (view all)
- Describe what psychologists mean by the terms schema, and sc...
- Brave New World
- Hunter Trials' is a humorous poem written by renowned author...
- I am going to discuss the portrayal of men and masculinity i...
- "Community Stability Identity" and its Role in the...
""Zoey. University Student.
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.