• Join over 1.2 million students every month
  • Accelerate your learning by 29%
  • Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Page
  1. 1
    1
  2. 2
    2
  3. 3
    3
  4. 4
    4
  5. 5
    5
  6. 6
    6
  7. 7
    7
  8. 8
    8
  9. 9
    9
  10. 10
    10
  11. 11
    11
  12. 12
    12
  13. 13
    13

An Investigation Into The Hypothesis That The Opening Of Festival Place In Basingstoke Has Had A Negative Impact On The Existing Town Centre

Extracts from this document...

Introduction

An Investigation Into The Hypothesis That The Opening Of Festival Place In Basingstoke Has Had A Negative Impact On The Existing Town Centre By Will Hooper 10SK GCSE Geography Coursework Year 10 Eggar's School 2nd November 2003 H/W GCSE Geography Coursework. Basingstoke Field Trip Study. 6th October 2003. Introduction to Basingstoke Field Study. Hypothesis: The opening of Festival Place in Basingstoke has had a negative impact on the existing town centre. Organising Question: 1. How has Festival Place affected the existing town centre? Introduction: Based upon my personal experience visiting Basingstoke both before and after the construction of Festival Place, I predict that the hypothesis will be false. Whilst Festival Place has probably taken business away from the town centre, it has also given those businesses a new more developed place to open up their businesses in Festival Place, an increased volume of potential customers visiting Basingstoke, and the opportunity to build upon their business and make more money. Although the mall brings in more people and pollution to that area of town, it is also well away from any homes in the area and the increased pollution level from the cars is so insubstantial that it makes little difference and does not really affect the towns pollution levels. I am going to collect data in graphs, maps, questionnaires, diagrams and the internet. To collect data in questionnaires, I will ask people questions and put this into graphs and/or charts. For the maps, I will study them and take note of urban areas, shopping areas, car parking and many other factors. When creating the graphs, I will use the questionnaires and any other form of data collection I have that can be shown in graphs or charts. Diagrams will show the details in my work. Map 1: Basingstoke Town Centre and Festival Place (source: www.multimap.com) The map on the previous page shows the location of Festival Place in relation to the town centre in Basingstoke. ...read more.

Middle

The people answering 'shops' and 'work' could be using either Festival Place or the town centre, and the previous question would indicate that these are split 50/50 between the two locations. Question 4: Do you Think that Festival Place has had a Negative Impact on the Existing Town Centre. From the bar graph I can see that most people believe that Festival Place has not had a negative impact on Basingstoke. I can see this because the graph shows me that six people, two of which where shop managers in the town centre, told me that they believed Festival Place has had a positive impact on Basingstoke. This helps to prove the hypothesis is wrong. Question 11: How Strongly do you Agree with the Following Statement: The Development of Festival Place has been Good for Basingstoke? This graph shows me that the development of Festival Place was good for Basingstoke because 90% of the people who I asked said that they either agreed or strongly agreed (50% strongly agree, 40% agree) and 10% said that they strongly disagree. This suggests that almost all of the public believe that the hypothesis is false because they think that Festival Place is good for Basingstoke. Question 12: How Strongly do you Agree with the Following Statement: The Development of Festival Place has Drawn Customers Away from the Existing Town Centre? This graph shows that the public believes that Festival Place has taken customers away from the existing town centre. The graph shows this from the fact that 60% of people believe that Festival Place took customers away from the existing town centre, the other 40% had no strong opinion, and 0% disagreed with the statement. This develops more detail from the previous question that indicates that Festival Place has been good for Basingstoke overall, but that in relation to the existing town centre the development has had a negative impact. ...read more.

Conclusion

For example, Question 3: Which Area will you Mainly be Visiting? From the bar graph showing which area of town people would be visiting, I can see that 60% of people use Festival Place whilst the other 40% of people use the town centre. The graph shows this because it tells me that six people use Festival Place whilst only four people use the town centre. This gives evidence to support the hypothesis. That result showed me that the hypothesis did have a slight back up to it but as there were not many more results like this and more that did not back up the hypothesis, then I believed the overall result was false. There are several results that support the hypothesis given. For example, Question 4: Do you Think that Festival Place has had a Negative Impact on the Existing Town Centre. From the bar graph, I can see that most people believe that Festival Place has not had a negative impact on Basingstoke. I can see this because the graph shows me that six people, two of which where shop managers in the town centre, told me that they believed Festival Place has had a positive impact on Basingstoke. This helps to prove the hypothesis is wrong. This helps to reject the hypothesis because it basically is asking the public of Basingstoke whether or not they agree with the hypothesis and they do not. Two of the people who answered that Festival Place has not had a negative impact on the town centre are shop managers in the town centre so this shows strong evidence that the hypothesis is false. My conclusions may not be as accurate as possible because I only asked ten people the questions in my questionnaire. This may make them inaccurate because there are about one million people (estimate) in Basingstoke and the surrounding area, so I only have 0.001% of Basingstoke's opinion. "The opening of Festival Place in Basingstoke has not had a negative impact on the existing town centre." By Will Hooper 10SK GCSE Geography Coursework Year 10 Eggar's School. Page 1 of 13 ...read more.

The above preview is unformatted text

This student written piece of work is one of many that can be found in our GCSE Human Geography section.

Found what you're looking for?

  • Start learning 29% faster today
  • 150,000+ documents available
  • Just £6.99 a month

Not the one? Search for your essay title...
  • Join over 1.2 million students every month
  • Accelerate your learning by 29%
  • Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month

See related essaysSee related essays

Related GCSE Human Geography essays

  1. Geography Investigation

    on my detailed Swansea street land use maps (A1, A2, A3), above. This is a continuous survey along a pre-selected transect. For this data collection I will need to work with a partner.

  2. Windsor Investigation

    Parking Windsor offers a vast amount of parking spaces for tourists and residents as the map below shows; Attractions Two of the UK's Top 20 attractions, Windsor Castle and Legoland Windsor are perhaps what Windsor is most famous for, But the underlying reason why Windsor has become such a popular tourist destination comes down to its heritage.

  1. Does the Bentalls Shopping Centre in Kingston Upon Thames meet the needs of the ...

    Range of shops Range of shops Range of shops Access-ibility Clean-liness Range of shops Range of shops Space Range of shops Range of shops What do you feel is the worst feature of this mall? Layout Layout Clean-liness None Facilities Access-ibility Layout Layout Clean-liness Space Person 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 Where do you live?

  2. GCSE Geography Settlement Coursework

    This represents that 1.8 buses went into Oxford a minute, and 1.4 buses came into Summertown from Oxford a minute. This graph also shows the difference between the numbers of people going to and from Oxford in Summertown. The percentage of people going into Oxford from Summertown - shown in

  1. Geography Investigation

    The second hypothesis I made is that the traffic counts will decrease with increasing distance from the peak land value intersection (PLVI). This paragraph explains the justification for the hypothesis. For the first hypothesis, in the PLVI, there are lots of high-order shops, such as chain stores and offices, which generate a lot of feet, fall during trading/ office hours.

  2. Geography Project GCSE

    due to the nature of the questions used within the Questionnaire: * All the shoppers in which I interviewed within my group, refused to give me their postcode, and some shoppers where even reluctant to disclose their addresses, as they believed this was personal information and they did not want to receive any leaflets etc from us via postage.

  1. Retail Coursework

    I probably would have got better results if I had specified areas within Bury They weren't Photograph Study I took photographs of a range of areas within the centre that displayed the reasons why shoppers are attracted to the centre "the main function of Bury's pedestrianised zone is to provide

  2. The aim of my coursework, investigating shopping patterns in Brent, is based on answering ...

    you to do it in your own home, therefore making retail parks like Staples Corner lose more and more customers everyday and rely on people who do not use the internet as a means of shopping, consequently Staples Corner in particular has built a UCI and restaurant in the area

  • Over 160,000 pieces
    of student written work
  • Annotated by
    experienced teachers
  • Ideas and feedback to
    improve your own work