- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Asian Tsunami - causes and effects
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Asian Tsunami
The 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake was an undersea megathrust earthquake that occurred at on Sunday 26 December 2004. This earthquake was the third most powerful earthquake recorded since 1900, and the confirmed death toll is just under 200,000 due to the ensuing tsunami ('soo-na-mi', from the Japanese words meaning 'harbour wave'). The hardest-hit and most severely affected countries were India (which was hit between 1 and 2 hours of the earthquake), Indonesia (which was hit within a few minutes of the earthquake), Maldives (which was hit within 4 hours), Sri Lanka (hit within 2hours) and Thailand (hit within an hour). Malaysia, Myanmar, Kenya, Seychelles, Somalia and the United Republic of Tanzania were also affected.
The tsunami had the greatest impact on rural coastal communities, many of which were already poor and vulnerable and had few livelihood options.
*Questions&Answers from sheet*
1. Q) Name the Ocean where the Earthquake took place.
A) The Indian Ocean
2. Q) Which Indonesian Island was the closest populated area to the epicentre of the earthquake?
3. Q) Approximately 1,700 tourists from 36 countries were killed in the tourist in Phuket.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Human Geography (view all)
- Why did so many people die in the 2010 Haiti earthquake?
- Development Case Study - Dharavi, Mumbai, India.People want ...
- Discuss the negative impacts of Urbanisation
- Case Study: Gambias Youthful Population. What are the positi...
- Amazon Rainforest Being Destroyed Or Developed?
- Globalisation- The backstory
- How Multiculturalism Started in Australia.
- Mass tourism & Tourism in Jamaica case study
- Extereme Tourism
- Case Study: Extreme Tourism in Antarctica
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student