- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Bournemouth vs barton on sea coastal defence management
The first 200 words of this essay...
Figure 1a Figure 1b
For my geography coursework, I went to Bournemouth and Barton-on-Sea to examine the coastal protection strategies of each town. (Figure 1a & Figure 1b) Both of these are along South of England, with Bournemouth in Dorset and Barton-on-sea in neighbouring Hampshire. (Figure 1c & 1d). Also known as the Jurassic coastline, the coast attracts thousands of tourists each year, mostly to Bournemouth. Around the Bournemouth area, you can see that it is well developed
Figure 1a Figure 1b
Bournemouth Bournemouth Barton-on-sea
The coastal defence strategies are both very different. Bournemouth choose to use a hard engineering strategy of wooden groynes and a soft one in the case of beach nourishment, whilst Barton-on-sea have decided upon cheaper alternatives, rock armour and rock groynes. But, regardless of how much money Hampshire council pour into coastal defence the cliffs at Barton is being eroded away.
This is all because of the coastal management down-coast at Bournemouth. Bournemouth receives a huge amount of its turnover via tourism because most tourists come to visit the beach. Due to longshore drift, the beach sediment is being carried up coast to feed Barton on sea. But,
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Physical Geography (view all)
- Earthquakes in MEDC's and LEDC's
- Speech on the Development of Antarctica
- Why do similar kinds of hazards have different impacts in di...
- River Chess Coursework
- Kobe and Haiti earthquake had many differences between the p...
- Hurricane Katrina
- Fold Mountains case study - Andes
- The Mariana Ocean Trench Case Study
- Eyjafjallajkull - the Icelandic volcano eruption
- Case study of Bangladesh and Boscastle Floods.
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.
""Zoey. University Student.