- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Disadvantages of modern farming techniques.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Physical Geography and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Disadvantages of modern farming techniques
My task is to write as an environmentalist complaining about modern farming techniques and their damaging effects on the environment.
As an environmentalist - it is my concern that modern farming techniques are harming the environment in serious and irreversible ways.
I particularly would like to comment on the issue of Eutrophication. This is an issue that needs to be dealt with in a serious and unprovocative manner. Eutrophication [concerning the contamination of nearby rivers and streams from the nitrate rich fertilizer] basically means that although a substance which is very good for unnatural fast growth in plants is released into the rivers, it also means that too much of this 'good thing' can cause far more damaging effects in other parts of the food web.
The problem starts when too much of the rich fertiliser finds its way into rivers or streams. This can occur if too much of the fertiliser is applied on the farmland or it rains soon after the fertiliser is applied so that the fertiliser runs off and into the rivers/streams. The excess nitrate washes into the river causing rapid growth of plants and
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Physical Geography (view all)
- Earthquakes in MEDC's and LEDC's
- 2011 Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami - causes and effects
- Why did so many people die in the Kobe Earthquake?
- What should hapen to Happisburgh?
- Bradshaw model detailed description
- Fold Mountains case study - Andes
- The Mariana Ocean Trench Case Study
- Eyjafjallajkull - the Icelandic volcano eruption
- Case study of Bangladesh and Boscastle Floods.
- Why did Haiti suffer more than Kobe as a result of an earthq...
""Zoey. University Student.
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.