- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
How have shopping patterns changed over time? The way we have shopped for our necessities and our luxuries have changed over the last 200-300 years
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Human Geography and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
How have shopping patterns changed over time?
The way we have shopped for our necessities and our luxuries have changed over the last 200-300 years. In the last 50 years, however, it has changed more rapidly then ever before in history.
It may be useful to divide the last 250 years into smaller periods based on large changes in technology shopping and behaviour of people.
Late middle ages : pre 1750 AD
Before about 1750, people used to do very little shopping and so there were very few shops. Most people grew their own food and made there own farming implements. Except for a few blacksmiths, jewellers, medical services etc, there was very little or no formal trade.
The reasons for this were because most people lived in an agricultural setting. These were small villages with subsistence farming. There were no large cities and the population was small.
The advantages of this were that there was low air pollution, all food was organic, the people had lots of exercise and people would barter for trade more often than using money. Money, however, was used to buy property and land.
There were also
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Human Geography (view all)
- Case Study: Gambias Youthful Population. What are the positi...
- Overstrand report
- Tourism on Grassington
- The benefits and disadvantages of an Open cast mine - Quarry...
- Investigating travel and tourism. Accomodation, transport an...
- China's One Child Policy
- Revision Points on Population, Urbanisation and Tourism with...
- Should Brazil be allowed entry into the exclusive G8 club?
- Globalisation- The backstory
- How Multiculturalism Started in Australia.
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.