- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Kobe and Haiti earthquake had many differences between the primary effects because in Haiti, 230,000 people died and in Kobe, only 6,434 people died, due to the face that Haiti is an LEDC
The first 200 words of this essay...
Earthquake from space
MEDC is an abbreviation for More Economically Developed Country so examples are France, Germany, Italy, the USA, so these are the rich countries. LEDC is diminutive for Lower Economically Developed Country. Examples of LEDCs are Zimbabwe, India, Bangladesh, but here there are also many more to mention.
Earthquakes occur along two tectonic plate margins (where plates meet). When plates move past, towards or away from each other the movement is not smooth. Friction causes the plates to be stuck. This causes pressure to build up. Earthquakes occur when this build up of pressure is released. The point where the earthquake starts is called the focus. Energy waves race rapidly from this point. The point at ground level, directly above the focus, is called the epicentre.
On Tuesday 12 January 2010 at 16:53, a huge earthquake, registering a magnitude of 7.0 on the Richter scale, struck the Caribbean island nation of Haiti. Haiti has a history of destructive earthquakes but this was the worst in 200 years. The epicentre was near Léogâne, 25 km west of Haiti's capital, Port-au-Prince. By 24 January, at least 52 aftershocks measuring 4.5 or greater on the Richter scale
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Physical Geography (view all)
- Earthquakes in MEDC's and LEDC's
- Debden Brook Rivers Cousework Analysis and Conclusion
- Why California is considered a hazard hotspot and how it cop...
- Geography- analysis of graphs
- Bradshaw model detailed description
- Hurricane Katrina
- Fold Mountains case study - Andes
- The Mariana Ocean Trench Case Study
- Eyjafjallajkull - the Icelandic volcano eruption
- Case study of Bangladesh and Boscastle Floods.
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.