- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
With the building of the housing estates in the past 50 years, life in Watton has changed more than it did in the previous 1000 years. Few of the people living within the village now work in the village since, with the exception of some small industrial units in Mill Lane, there are few opportunities for employment (the Holden du Cros salmon packing factory in the High Street closed in 1988 and was converted to housing in 1994). Watton is now, therefore, `commuterland' and its people travel to Stevenage, Hoddesdon and other areas of employment (including central London at a 1994 cost of £1896 per annum!).
There are a number of shops in the village, but sadly the number seems to be decreasing despite the extra houses being built. However, in 1997, part of the grocery store in the High Street was opened as a separate hot food shop selling oriental and Beijing cuisine. The garage in the High Street closed in October 1999 and the site cleared for housing development.
The village boasts a wide selection of facilities, including the clubs and societies listed separately at the end of this booklet; all of
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Human Geography (view all)
- Case Study: Gambias Youthful Population. What are the positi...
- Mexico to USA Migration Case Study
- Overstrand report
- Tourism on Grassington
- The benefits and disadvantages of an Open cast mine - Quarry...
- China's One Child Policy
- Revision Points on Population, Urbanisation and Tourism with...
- Should Brazil be allowed entry into the exclusive G8 club?
- Globalisation- The backstory
- How Multiculturalism Started in Australia.
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.