- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Three Development Projects on Different Scales
The first 200 words of this essay...
Three Development Projects
Large-Scale: The Cahora Bassa Dam, Mozambique (bilateral aid)
The Cahora Bassa Dam is the largest each EP scheme in southern Africa, with five turbines and a surface area which is the second biggest in the world. It is the third Dam to have been constructed in the River Zambezi basin. It is potentially the most important.
Despite it being a huge electricity resource, only 1% of Mozambique's rural homes have a direct electricity supply and this has hardly changed because of the dam. Most power is sold South Africa which makes money for the Mozambican economy but does not provide power for its inhabitants.
The dam has much greater potential than it is currently used for. With the help of other energy producing projects (such as natural gas, solar and wind) the dam could provide Mozambique with all the power it needs for the foreseeable future.
The fact that there are three dams in one basin has led to environmental damage; River flow has been reduced, and the shrimp fishing industry has been almost destroyed. A new dam (Mepuna Uncua) is also planned for construction downstream from the Cahora Bassa, which could
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Human Geography (view all)
- Epping Forest Coursework
- Why did so many people die in the 2010 Haiti earthquake?
- Geography Project GCSE
- Bath attracts both inbound and domestic tourists for a varie...
- "The great success of out of town shopping centres like...
- Globalisation- The backstory
- How Multiculturalism Started in Australia.
- Mass tourism & Tourism in Jamaica case study
- Extereme Tourism
- Case Study: Extreme Tourism in Antarctica
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.