- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Analysis of "Refugee Mother and Child" By Chinua Achebe
The first 200 words of this essay...
Analysis of "Refugee Mother and Child"
By Chinua Achebe
The success of the poem Refugee mother and child lies within Chinua Achebe's ability to present an interfering, yet authentic and compelling poem. His own literary language is blended in with images and descriptions that create a sense of compassion for the unfortunate refugees. By skillfully contrasting the imagery of life and death, showing irony of singing in the mother's eyes, and cleverly foreshadowing, Achebe effectively helps to direct the readers towards the eventual death of the mother's child in the poem. Using literary devices such alliterations, contrasts, imagery, tones and symbols, Achebe proficiently specifies the ultimate destinies of the protagonists in the poem.
Achebe starts his first stanza with the imagery of the famous painting of "Madonna and Child". This metaphor of the painting symbolizing a great mother, and Madonna being Mary, the mother of Jesus here, expresses a divine, soft and tender feeling because in the bible Mary has always been a character of love, loyalty and honesty, which is reinforced with the rhyme in the second line of the first stanza between tenderness and forgets. The rhyme manages to reinforce this
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Child Development (view all)
- This report is a personal development plan that shows an eva...
- The nature/nurture debate in childhood development.
- Child Development - Child Study
- Compare and contrast the development theories of Piaget, Bru...
- The principles, stages and sequences of growth and developme...
- Childrens Play. Cache unit 4
- Cach L2 unit 4. Childrens Play
- Cach L2 unit 5. Professional Attributes - A non- judgement...
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of different family...
- Development through the life stages
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.