- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
English Literature Exam Essays
- Essay length: 10804 words
- Submitted: 03/06/2005
The first 200 words of this essay...
Each of the two passages below presents a judgment of a parent by a child. Compare and contrast the passages in terms of :
1) the kind and severity of the judgements and what they reveal about the social and personal beliefs of Elizabeth and Arkady
2) the narrative techniques of 'showing' and 'telling' employed in each passage and their effectiveness. ( 1500 words)
Pride and Prejudice satires early nineteenth century English social institutions. Elizabeth Bennet is Jane Austen's satirical tool as she explores class, feminism and love in the country estates of rural England. In Austen's society, women's social and economic circumstances are defined by their fathers and eventually their husbands. For the Bennet sisters marriage is more than a means of economic support, it is a source of upward mobility. Elizabeth's turning down two marriage proposals shows that she is an independent character. With her quick wit and loose tongue, Elizabeth rejects the patriarchal society defined by Chris Weedon and does away with the sexual mores of her time. Austen's other female characters embody Hannah More's view on how women should act; they serve as foils for Elizabeth's "very different mode of
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Child Development (view all)
- Health and Social care
- Health, Social Care and Early years provisions.
- Discuss the nature-nurture debate in relation to individual ...
- Demonstrate the recent development of personal skills releva...
- Describe the expected stage of social development of childre...
- Cach L2 unit 4. Childrens Play
- Cach L2 unit 5. Professional Attributes - A non- judgement...
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of different family...
- Development through the life stages
- The Evil of Child Labour
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.