- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
explain the 5 main areas of childrens development
The first 200 words of this essay...
Child Psychology and Development
There are 5 main areas of children's development; Physical, Intellectual, Language, Emotional and Social (PILES)
* Physical Development
Physical Development "Refers to a child's control over his/her muscles, his/her coordination, his/her ability to sit, stand, and eventually to walk and run. It also refers to his/her manipulative abilities" Many theorists have many different views on physical development. Physical development includes 2 major areas; Fine motor skills and Gross Motor skills. Gross motor skills tend to develop first with fine motor skills coming later working from the centre and over time, moving out towards the fingers.
* Intellectual Development
Intellectual development can also be referred to as cognitive development. Many theorists have many different views on intellectual development. For example, Piaget believes it happens in 4 stages over a certain period of time starting from the earliest stage of 0 years up to adolescence. Lev Vygotsky's concept contradicts this, as he believes the development process that begins at birth and continues until death. Charles Darwin believes children's cognitive skills are built over the years and to begin with, they start with a blank canvas that is developed slowly over time through
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Child Development (view all)
- This report is a personal development plan that shows an eva...
- Barriers to Communication.
- Child Development - Child Study
- Health and social care level 2 - Human Lifespan Development
- The nature/nurture debate in childhood development.
- Childrens Play. Cache unit 4
- Cach L2 unit 4. Childrens Play
- Cach L2 unit 5. Professional Attributes - A non- judgement...
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of different family...
- Development through the life stages
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.