Extracts from this document...
6083/02 COURSEWORK TASK 1 1. Eggs are an important food for different people. Show how eggs can be included in different ways in a variety of dishes. Eggs as an important food * The types of eggs? - Hen eggs, quail eggs, duck eggs * Traditional value of eggs? - Used in Easter's celebration * Nutritional value of eggs? - The egg white contains proteins such as ovalbulmin and ovomucin, while the egg yolk contains proteins such as lipovitelin. All these are High biological Value (HBV) proteins necessary for body-building and tissue repair. Other nutrients of value are iron and vitamins A and D. * Sensory value of eggs? - The different methods of preparing and cooking eggs will have different outcomes that give different look, taste and texture. Scrambled egg and egg used in baking a cake will turn differently to make egg dishes more interesting. Who are the different people? How can eggs provide sufficient nutrients for these people? * Teenagers (age 13-18) - For body-building purpose * Growing children (after age 1- 12) - For growth * Body-builders: For building strong muscles * People on slimming diet like low-carbohydrate diet - Protein in egg gives about the same energy per gram as carbohydrate * Pregnant women - HBV protein for foetus in pregnant women and iron for building blood cells * Lactating women (nursing and breast-feeding) - HBV protein for nursing baby and iron to replace blood loss in lactating women * Ova-vegetarians - Get HBV proteins from eggs besides eating complementary proteins from a variety of vegetables and grains. Eggs are another HBV proteins alternative to soy products. Eggs can be included in a variety of dishes in different ways Eggs can be prepared by these different types of cooking methods: 1. Moist heat methods - boiling, simmering, steaming 2. Dry-heat cooking - baking, roasting, grilling 3. Hot oil cooking - pan-frying, deep-frying, stir-frying Eggs can be used as a main dish like egg tart and omelet or as part of a dish like cakes. ...read more.
* Pregnant women (and lactating women) - Source of HBV protein and iron for foetus & good source of iron for lactating women * Ova vegetarians - Source of HBV protein & gives variety (of sensory traits - colour, texture and taste) in diet * People on slimming diet especially those on low-carbohydrate diet DECISION MAKING In this section, I will ask myself questions on how I decide which dishes to prepare for my practical exam. These are the factors that I have considered: * What are the factors affecting my choice of dishes? These factors must be related to the task on including eggs in different ways in a variety of dishes and how are these egg dishes important for different people. What kind of eggs will I use? * What other factors will affect my choice of dishes? Budget? Practical exam time constraint? Availability of ingredients? My culinary skills? * How many dishes should I prepare? Bearing all these factors in mind, I decided to prepare these dishes: 1. Crème Caramel Custard 2. Chocolate Cake 3. Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict 4. Egg Salad My main reasons for choosing the dishes are because: 1. I have chosen dishes using mainly chicken egg (Crème Caramel Custard, Chocolate Cake and Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict) and quail egg (Egg Salad), either in the preparation or as the main dish or part of a dish. Each dish contains eggs to meet the task's requirement. 2. I will explain the importance of each egg dish for different people so as to meet another task's requirement. * The egg present in my Crème Caramel Custard dish mainly is for the teenagers. Its sweet is usually popular among the teenagers. The egg which contains the minerals like Iron, calcium and phosphorus is needed heavily to meet the teenager's diet. 3. I have also checked my own culinary skills to estimate that I can handle the dishes within the time of 2 hours of the practical exam. ...read more.
I have decided to question myself on how I have done for my practical exam. These questions will guide me and help me to relate to the coursework and I will also list down its nutrients for the different group of people. For example if I were to prepare a salad dish, including quail eggs, how will this dish provide the essential the important nutrients and to which group of people will it be served for. These are the factors that I have looked in and abide into while preparing my dishes: Organization and management Manipulation (cooking, serving, preparing skills) Product and presentation The above factors will be the factors that I can elaborate on as seen below: I have tried my best to keep the sink and working bench clean and be hygienic at all time. I believe that my time management has made me more organized. In between intervals for example while I was boiling the quail eggs and waiting for the chocolate cake to rise, I did some washing up like washing my mixing bowl and wiping the table. The problems that occurred were straight away solved. For example, when my custard curdled, I was able to hide the tiny holes with caramel and decorating it with strawberries. For my presentation, I have used a plain white table cloth as the bottom layer and placed in an orange table matt to make the dishes stand out. I have also decorated my dishes with strawberries (custard and chocolate cake) to make my dish more appealing to the different group of people. My preparing skill especially in my egg salad is really well- maintained. I could balance my time well for example, I boiled my quail eggs and meanwhile waiting, I also did my chocolate cake batter. This shows that I could handle this preparing and also organize my time in a balanced manner. I was able to abide by the time limit (2 hours) without much problems occurring. I managed to do well especially in baking my chocolate cake which at first; I thought I would have problem in handling. ...read more.
This student written piece of work is one of many that can be found in our GCSE Health and Social Care section.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- 150,000+ documents available
- Just £6.99 a month
- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month