- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The International Labour Organization (ILO) Core Labour Standards dealing with 'minimum age of employment' and 'forced and compulsory labour'.
The first 200 words of this essay...
This report looks into the International Labour Organization (ILO) Core Labour Standards dealing with 'minimum age of employment' and 'forced and compulsory labour'. The report examines the broader definition of the conventions and determines their applicability and effectiveness in a country such as Malaysia and compares/contrasts it with Indonesia. Finally it summarizes the key issues covered within this report.
INTERNATIONAL LABOUR ORGANIZATION (ILO)
Core Labour Standards
The ILO defines the core labor standards in conventions which are based on agreements reached between the governments, employers' and workers' organizations of the member states of the ILO (ILO 2004:16).
Mark Rix mentions that "International labor standards were originally intended to circumvent the danger that a country would attempt to suppress the wages and conditions of its national's low thus giving it a competitive edge in international trade" (2001:17). But also to address humanitarian issues as a result of the physical dangers of industrialization. With countries competing with each other to improve there economies and attract increased trade, they are likely to reduce wages and working conditions to extreme lows (Rix, 2001).
The ILO Convention 29 defines forced or compulsory labour as 'all work or
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Child Development (view all)
- Health and Social care
- How do Piaget's and Vygotsky's theories of learning and deve...
- Discuss the nature-nurture debate in relation to individual ...
- Health, Social Care and Early years provisions.
- The purpose of this essay is to describe the holistic assess...
- Cach L2 unit 4. Childrens Play
- Cach L2 unit 5. Professional Attributes - A non- judgement...
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of different family...
- Development through the life stages
- The Evil of Child Labour
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.