- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Assess to what extent does social policy reflect on the traditional nuclear family
The first 200 words of this essay...
Assess to which extent social policies reflect and support the traditional nuclear family
Social policy is the package of measures taken to solve a social problem. I intend to assess the New Right and New Left, the taxation law, the Child Support Agency, the fact that the government encourages families to look after themselves, and that 16- 18 year olds don't get job seekers allowance.
The New Right is traditional. It supports the nuclear family and is for being economically independent, not relying on the state. The New Right is associated with the right-wing Conservative policies of the Thatcher government in Britain and that of Reagen in the USA. Key New Right beliefs about the family- Rapoport (1989):
* Based on heterosexual marriage between 2 parents.
* The 'building block' of society.
* Essential to social stability.
* Separate roles performed by men and women according to their biology.
* Two parents and strong discipline needed in families, to prevent the clash of social order.
* All other arrangements are 'deviant' and therefore threat society.
* Strong views on morality and responsibility- stress law and order, plus personal
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
International relations 1945-1991 (view all)
- How did Mao Zedong secure control of China in the 1950's?
- Causes of the Cold war. Soviet expansion and the Marshall Pl...
- Notes on the Solidarity movement in Poland.
- What were the key features of the Yom Kippur War 1973
- Describe the events of the Berlin Airlift between June 1948 ...
- Edexcel Cold War 1943-1991 Revision (Detailed)
- Why did communism collapse in Eastern Europe and the USSR?
- Key figures in the Hungarian and Czech Uprisings
- How successful were the PLO in promoting its cause between 1...
- Who was to blame for the cold war?
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.