- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
Bloody Sunday was an event that occurred, due to workers and peasants, not being treated fairly. On 22nd January 1905, workers and peasants, joined a demonstration, led by Father Gapon, in order to present the Tsar with a petition requesting changes to their working conditions and pay. At some point, soldiers opened fire, killing many demonstrators. Nicholas II issued the October Manifesto, so that he could get the vote of the majority of the population. In the Manifesto the Tsar guaranteed people certain freedoms such as speech, conscience and assemble. He also promised a new parliament (the Duma), which was to be elected by the people. The Duma would advise Nicholas II and approve all new laws. The Tsar also promised that individuals could not be imprisoned without a trial and trade unions became legalised. The Dumas were not very successful, as the Tsar dissolved them. In 1906, the duma demanded more power and rights for ordinary people, he rejected these demands and dissolved it. The second duma, in 1907 demanded more land to be given to the peasants. Many squabbles broke out within the duma. The third duma lasted for five years, from 1907 to 1912. This duma was critical
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Russia, USSR 1905-1941 (view all)
- Stalin man or monster
- From 1750-1900 British towns changed rapidly and it was a ch...
- Why was the Tsar Forced to Abdicate in 1917?
- Assess the strengths & weakness of Russia around 1855
- Assignment B: Stalin: Man or Monster
- Were the mistakes made by the provisional government the mai...
- Doomed to failure from the start. How far do you agree with...
- Notes on "Why was Russia so difficult to govern?"
- Causes of the 1905 Russian revolution
- The Outcome of the power struggle owes more to the weakness ...
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.