- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Causes for peace initiatives that haven't succeeded
The first 200 words of this essay...
There have been many peace initiatives that haven't succeeded due to the long term causes i.e. the centuries of conflict in Ireland. Therefore I am only going to look at the most recent reasons as to why the attempts for peace have all failed. The peace initiatives first came about after the period known as 'The Troubles' came prominent. These were sparked off by marches made by Catholics, which clashed with Protestants and escalated in violence. Things became so bad that in 1969 the British government made the decision to deploy its Army to act as a 'peace keeping force'. Eventually the situation became so dire that in 1972 Westminster imposed 'direct rule' upon Northern Ireland. Since then politicians have been constantly vying for peace with four main peace initiatives proposed, the 1973 power sharing Sunningdale Agreement, 1985 Anglo-Irish Agreement, 1993 Downing Street Declaration and most recently the 1998 Good Friday Agreement. However, all of the aims of these 'Agreements' were not accomplished, all due to many factors.
One of the causes which sparked off the need for peace intiatives, marches and protests, came back to haunt the initiatives later on. Unionists refused some of the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Northern Ireland 1965-85 (view all)
- Why was Ireland Partitioned in 1921?
- Northen Ireland Coursework
- I.R.A. Sources Questions
- 'Across the Barricades' is a novel written by Joan Lingard.
- How far are the tensions in Northern Ireland due the events ...
- The underlying cause of the conflict between Northern Irelan...
- Was the Hunger Strike Campaign of the 1980s the most signifi...
- Why were the British Troops sent to Northern Ireland in Augu...
- Describe the disadvantages that faced Catholics in Northern ...
- How did Protestant Politicians explain the social, economic ...
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.