- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Causes of the Cuban Missile Crisis
The first 200 words of this essay...
A crisis in Cuba developed after American spies discovered the USSR was supplying nuclear weapons to Cuba. This was not the beginning of a crisis in Cuba though. A crisis had been brewing gradually ever since the Russians had become involved in Cuba and had brought Cuba into the middle of Cold War relations. The crisis in Cuba was as a result of an increasingly tense arms race between the US and USSR and there was a huge tension after the events in Berlin. So the crisis did not start in '62 but it came to its pinnacle.
This tension had been brewing ever since 1959 when Fidel Castro over threw the American backed dictator Batista. Castro was pro-Communist and therefore this was testing America's policy of containment. Castro took over all American based businesses and from 1960 he was receiving arms from the Soviet Union and American spies knew this. Cuba was important to America because it was an American ally. The Americans also had a huge naval base there and owned most of the business. Cuba was a good catch to the USSR because they spread their communism further than the policy of containment had allowed them
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
International relations 1945-1991 (view all)
- Who was to blame for the Cold War?
- History - The Effects of evacuation in world war 2
- Who won the Cuban Missile Crisis?
- Which country is most responsible for the Cuban missile cris...
- The Arab-Israeli Conflict
- Edexcel Cold War 1943-1991 Revision (Detailed)
- Why did communism collapse in Eastern Europe and the USSR?
- Key figures in the Hungarian and Czech Uprisings
- How successful were the PLO in promoting its cause between 1...
- Who was to blame for the cold war?
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.