- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Causes of World War 1.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Causes of World War 1
The Kruger Telegram (1896)
In 1896 Cecil Rhodes in an armed attack, using British South African police tried to start an uprising in Johannesburg against the Boers. This was an illegal act against the Transvaal state because thousands of Germans were active in the commercial life of the country. This meant that the Germans were very concerned about the fate of the Boer republic. They went about showing their concern in a very clumsy way. After Berlin had been told that the raid had not been approved by the British government, the matter had should have been closed. However the German foreign minister invited Russian and French co-operation against Britain. By doing this he hoped that this pressure would provoke Britain to join the triple alliance. However France and Russia refused. The Kaiser then took policy into his own hands and sent a telegram to Kruger, the Boer president, supporting the independence of the Transvaal state. This message caused outrage in Britain because the Transvaal state was not a fully independent state. The Transvaal state had also accepted British control over its external relations in 1884. The British press as a result treated
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
International relations 1900-1939 (view all)
- Clemenceau saw the Treaty of Versailles as an opportunity to...
- Explain the different aims of the three leaders, Clemenceau,...
- The aim of the Gallipoli campaign and why it failed?
- "The treaty of Versailles represented neither a Wilson ...
- "Tsarism collapsed at the beginning of 1917 because Nic...
- Describe the Causes of WW1
- Was the Treaty of Versailles fair?
- "The League of Nations was doomed to fail from its crea...
- Why did war break out in 1914?
- Explain the Causes of World War One
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.