- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Conflict in Ireland - Impact of the easter rising.
The first 200 words of this essay...
CONFLICT IN IRELAND
QUESTION 1: WHAT IMPACT DID EACH OF THE FOLLOWING EVENTS HAVE ON THE HISTORY OF THE CONFLICT IN IRELAND?
THE EASTER RISING
In 1916 a Fenian group known as the Irish Republican Brotherhood Revolutionary knew the war for Britain was going badly, so they thought now was a good opportunity to strike for independence, and lead an armed uprising against the British troops.
The rising started on Easter Monday, the rebels seized control over the general post office in the centre of Dublin and announced that Ireland was an independent republic. But they got very little support from the public who were Catholics; they were appalled by the damage and atrocities. On person who was present at the time recalled,
"If Ireland as a whole could of got hold of Tom Clarke and his Fenians during that week it would have torn them to pieces."
The rebels were soon outnumbered and sent to prison. They executed 15 of the rebel leaders. The Catholics were horrified and angered by this and turned those people into martyrs. This led to more people joining Sinn Fein and helping them; and favoured
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Northern Ireland 1965-85 (view all)
- Catholic discrimination in Northern Ireland in terms of Hous...
- What were the consequences of the 1916 Easter rising?
- Why was Ireland Partitioned in 1921?
- Causes of the 1916 Easter Rising.
- Why did a civil rights movement start in Northern Ireland in...
- The underlying cause of the conflict between Northern Irelan...
- Was the Hunger Strike Campaign of the 1980s the most signifi...
- Describe the disadvantages that faced Catholics in Northern ...
- How did Protestant Politicians explain the social, economic ...
- Why were the British Troops sent to Northern Ireland in Augu...
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.