- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Conflict in Ireland
- Essay length: 6758 words
- Submitted: 25/01/2005
The first 200 words of this essay...
Modern World Study: Conflict in Ireland
Ireland is to the west of Britain and is surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean, Irish Sea and the Celtic Sea.
Today Ireland is divided into two parts, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. In 1921 the partition treaty was signed and was originally supposed to be temporary, it was an attempt to bring peace to Ireland.
Currently there are mainly Unionists (Protestants) living in Northern Ireland and in the Republic of Ireland there are mainly Nationalists (Catholics) living in Northern Ireland. The unionists want to be governed by England's parliament however; the Nationalists in Northern Ireland do not. The Nationalists in the Republic are Independent and want a untied Ireland.
Easter Rising, 1916
The Easter Rising took place in April 1916;it was one of many rebellions held by Nationalists in an attempt to get independence for Ireland. However, this rebellion was much more intense and violent that those before.
Several events led up to the Easter Rising, all of which had an influence on what happened. Firstly groups formed such as the Irish Republican Brotherhood (I.R.B), groups like these formed as a result of centuries
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Northern Ireland 1965-85 (view all)
- Catholic and Protestant, Nationalist and Unionist, Republica...
- What were the short and long term effects of the hunger-stri...
- Causes of the 1916 Easter Rising.
- Bloody Sunday and the Conflict in Ireland
- Why was Ireland Partitioned in 1921?
- The underlying cause of the conflict between Northern Irelan...
- Was the Hunger Strike Campaign of the 1980s the most signifi...
- Describe the disadvantages that faced Catholics in Northern ...
- How did Protestant Politicians explain the social, economic ...
- Why were the British Troops sent to Northern Ireland in Augu...
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.