- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Describe the disadvantages that faced Catholics in Northern Ireland during the mid-1960s.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Question - Describe the disadvantages faced by the Catholics in Northern Ireland in the mid - 1960s
In the mid - 1960's Catholics in Northern Ireland were at a disadvantage in many different ways. The National attitudes of the two different religious groups in Northern Ireland
(Catholics and Protestants) were different. Catholics wanted Ireland to be an independent nation away from the rule and power of the UK, but the Protestants wanted Northern Ireland to be part of the UK and under its rule and power. But the Catholics in Ulster were in the minority and Protestants in the majority. This caused tension to build in Northern Ireland and the trust between the two different religions started to dither. Earlier conflict had led to a Civil War. This eventually led to the Partition of 1921, which was made as a temporary fix to end the Civil War. But still to this very day Northern Ireland remains part of the United Kingdom. This then brought about the Irish Question - Should Northern Ireland remain part of the United Kingdom, or should it become part of an independent united Ireland? Catholics felt like they were being treated badly by
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Northern Ireland 1965-85 (view all)
- What were the consequences of the 1916 Easter rising?
- Explain the development of Catholic grievances and Protestan...
- Why the Troubles broke out in Northern Ireland in 1969.
- The Good Friday Agreement
- How far do the sources support the view that Irish Nationali...
- The underlying cause of the conflict between Northern Irelan...
- Was the Hunger Strike Campaign of the 1980s the most signifi...
- How did Protestant Politicians explain the social, economic ...
- Why were the British Troops sent to Northern Ireland in Augu...
- Why was there a change in the levels of tension between Unio...
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.